Gamer dad who loves the classics, indies, racers and the occasional shooter. Have been in the industry for almost two decades now and am as enthusiastic as ever! #4theplayers
Gearbox has confirmed during PAX East that Borderlands 3 is being made. The developer has released a couple of trailers for the game.
Borderlands 3 is the ‘new full part’ of the franchise. In the first trailer we catch a glimpse of the game’s gameplay, which shows many characteristic elements of the series. While enjoying typical dubstep music, various worlds to explore are shown, including a swamp, a futuristic city and a world that is very similar to Pandora.
The trailer also reveals that the game contains a billion weapons and we see several well-known characters from the first two parts. Lilith, Brick, Mordecai, Zer0, Tiny Tina, Sir Hammerlock and of course Claptrap make their appearance, but we also see a number of new Vault Hunters and running guns. A gameplay reveal will be show on May 1st at 18:30 CET.
Old Skool Borderlands
It took five years to release a new Borderlands game. The last part was the Pre-Sequel, which appeared for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. In the meantime, Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, a remaster of Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel, appeared.
Gearbox has announced tonight that owners of that collection will receive a free Ultra HD Texture Pack. Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition was also announced for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. This is a remaster of the first game with a good number of additions and visual upgrades. Read more about the announcements here.
The majority of reveal tweets have been collected by Reddit user BooleanBarman in a fairly long thread. The most important thing he collected was the “Stroke effect”. This is not reflected in Borderlands 3, but will be replaced by a similar Elemental effect. “We replace it with something that makes a lot more sense. This new ‘element’ damage type has the same effect as nuclear radiation and it looks like blows (increased vulnerability for those who suffer). In addition, it also has damage “over-time” effect. ”
In Borderlands 2, the Battle effect caused enemies to receive twice as much damage from weapons without the Battle effect. Many fans were not happy with this implementation because this effect was almost necessary to defeat late-game enemies. Therefore, players had to keep switching between Battle weapons and non-Battle weapons.
Other details announced by Pitchford include confirmation from local co-op, confirmation that Ashley Burch will return as Tiny Tina and that an off-hand melee weapon will be available. Furthermore, the folder becomes “a lot bigger” and there are different locations with different formats.
Thanks to reactions on Twitter from Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford (and one from managing producer or narrative Randy Varnell) we now know thirteen new details of Borderlands 3. Here is every detail that has been announced on Twitter:
- The Stroke effect is replaced by a similar ‘Element’ effect that resembles nuclear radiation
- Local co-op has been confirmed
- Ashly Burch returns as Tiny Tina
- There is only one off-hand melee weapon (only a billion guns)
- There are locations of different sizes, but the map will be larger than previous Borderlands games
- The endgame will be bigger than the one in Borderlands 2
- Borderlands 3 will be playable offline
- Gearbox cannot promise crossplay at the moment, because “not everyone likes to play with each other”
- There seems to be no companion app planned for the game
- Weapons have more colors and skins compared to Borderlands 2
- Just like in The Pre-Sequel, Vault Hunters have conversations with the world and people around them
- The ECHOnet 3.0 is a physical device that is used in every transaction with a vending machine and every transaction in the menu
- Other projects, such as the mobile Borderlands Legends, are not currently being made to focus on Borderlands 3
Borderlands 3 will be playable on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on September 13th 2019 in four versions. Standard Edition, Deluxe Edition, Super Deluxe Edition and the awesome Diamond Loot Chest Collector’s Edition. For more info on the content of these editions check the Borderlands 3 website.